Wednesday, January 16, 2008

value of gruesome art

Comedy can be entertaining but tragedy sticks to your bones. Well, that's the conventional wisdom about art, and after seeing "The Savages," marketed with a light-hearted tone but comprising two hours of wall-to-wall suffering only occasionally leavened by humor, I think the old saying is true. Except that "The Savages" is just too gruesomely realistic -- not in the sense of explicit images, but with its relentless focus on the consequences of aging and death.

I suffered.

I had a bad night after I got home.

I'm glad I saw the movie. I think it deserves a ton of awards.

It's the story of a dying man whose companion dies and whose alienated adult children (Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman) step in to care for him. He's a jerk and it's an ugly situation. No one is connected to anyone else in a meaningful way, and though the characters grow during the film (the only real positive of tragedy), it's a rough, rough ride.

But wow. I felt cellularly rearranged by seeing it. Glad Hollywood had the guts to make it, even if the marketing was a little deceptive.

No comments: